Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thoughts on Family..


Hi all!

Firstly let me wish everyone and their families Happy Chinese New Year!!

Today was a rather tiring day, as all CNY Day Ones usually are.. Besides my recent constant late nights(my own fault I admit), the nausea from my motion sickness during every single car ride today and the discomfort of a bursting tummy... It made me reflect about how much family means to me =)

During the dec hols.. I realized how important my family was to me, and last sem, I tried to spend as much time as possible with my mum and my grandma.. Love them a lot and they've sacrificed so much for me. On Saturday when we went to pay respects to my late grandfather, I couldn't help but let the waterworks flow again.. I miss him so much and I wish he was still here with us.. Sure there are times when I'm absolutely annoyed with them, but that's all part of being family right? I read somewhere in the sweetest book my mum gave me for vday which says. "The great value of family life is to be intimately acquainted with people you might never even introduce yourself to, had life not done it for you." so true! And on a daily basis, we always seem to take them for granted and don't notice the things they do for us, but at crucial moments when it matters, they are still always there..

Btw Oacians.. that is how I feel about the bond we formed and shared.. that you guys are people I would never have initated conversation with.. And I miss you guys! I'm always afraid we'll drift apart... Hopefully it's just the busy school term...

I am slowly learning to appreciate my family more and more now... Seeing that my grandfather is so ill, and something my grandma said, it makes me realize how scary it is to be in a world where both your parents have passed on, and you're old.. Imagine if you don't have any filial children or loved ones around.. it's so completely scary.. It makes me want to give my grandmother more love than ever.. Now as a 'kid', we know that we always have our mothers/fathers/grandparents to turn to for unconditional love.. some people can turn to their friends.. but what about those who can't? It's really a frightening concept that I have trouble grasping and am happily choosing to ignore now.. I'll be interested to know what other people think about this!

On a different note, it was refreshing to meet my relatives today! I rarely see them, and it's real nice to catch up.. All my cousins are growing up and changing so much as well.. talking to them always surprises me! And I learn that the world is a small place as well, haha, well, at least Singapore is a small place.. Somehow everyone seems to know everyone =P

Ah well.. I love CNY in general.. the whole atmosphere n mood is so festive and homey.. but.. the food.. is... making me fat.. I gotta go running when back in hall man.. running at night is awesome.. anyone up for a run? slow.. nice... long... run... hahahaha.... burn off the pineapple tarts... ba kwa... etc etc... I think my tummy's feeling kinda funny... needa stop putting so much food into it... haha..

Ok.. relatives coming over tomorrow.. gotta go to bed... nights everyone, and happy cny once more =D


1 comment:

  1. happy cny! i'll add u to my blogroll. take care...

    ReplyDelete